Re: debian-9 Kde login screen problem and kde desktop problem

Le 03/04/2018 à 04:11, Henry Chang a écrit :
> Dear Aurélien,

Hi Henry,

> If I want a Debian-9 login screen that allows me to type "username" "password",
> and be able to select my own background, meanwhile it shows an analog clock and
> some welcome message, as in Debian-8 KDM. How to do that? Please tell me the
> procedure, step by step.

The best is to have a look at the available SDDM themes in Debian 9, try them,
and then adapt one of these to your liking.

If I was to do that I would :
- Install the various available themes:
    apt install sddm-theme-*
- Check the installed themes :
    ls /usr/share/sddm/themes
- Try these themes by changing the conf in /etc/sddm.conf
    [Theme]
    Current=insert_theme_name_here
- Copy one of the folders in /usr/share/sddm/themes to a custom folder next to
the other themes and make the changes you like there. The entrypoint is the
Main.qml file that you will want to adapt.
- A more in depth introduction to QML can be found at [0]. I’m myself not an
expert in this so you may want to ask on Qt or KDE support channels.

Feel free to share your changes. If you do so your changes will need to respect
the themes original licenses found in /usr/share/doc/sddm-theme-*/copyright.

> Also, on Kde desktop, how can I switch to traditional hierarchical program
> selection menu, as shown in the screen snapshot attached?

I don’t see a hierarchical menu in your screenshot. :)
But there is a hierarchical menu in Plasma 5, look for « launcher » or « menu »
in the list of applets and you should find what you’re looking for.

[0] https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qmlapplications.html

Cheers,
--Aurélien