Re: Re: Migrating the debian-desktop repository to git

Hi Yves-Alexis,

Le 08/07/2017 à 15:09, Yves-Alexis Perez a écrit :

> On Wed, 2017-07-05 at 19:33 +0200, Aurélien COUDERC wrote:
>> 3. Feedback
>> That being said I’m looking forward to getting feedback on the proposal,
>> from regular and occasional contributors alike.
>
> I'm not against the change, but I'd be interested in the workflow post
> transition on how to build packages and stuff like that.

With my brand new knowledge of the available tools, I’d go for the following
workflow :
- Iterate on :
  o  commit and push changes without touching d/changelog
- When ready to push a package, from a clean git tree :
  o  gbp dch -R
  o  Review/fix changelog
  o  git commit -a -m "Prepare for $version release"
  o  gbp buildpackage --git-tag
  o  if the built package works, push the changes
  o  otherwise reset --hard HEAD to commit before dch, fix, rinse and repeat

I’m interesting to know if there are even more automated tools, like doing the
dch commit with a predictable message :) or others.

Also I couldn’t manage to get gbp understanding that the tags are not
debian/$version but plain $version. So i had to run :
gbp dch --debian-tag="%(version)s" -R

I have the following taken from the example conf provided with gbp :
$ cat debian/gbp.conf
[DEFAULT]
debian-tag = %(version)s

Hints welcome.

After a quick look I couldn’t find info about the git workflow in a few other
debian repos I have clones of. Is this usually documented and where ?
Or is it only oral tradition for each repo ?

> In the meantime, I've made Aurélien admin on the alioth project so he can go
> ahead and move the test repository under a Debian umbrella.

Thanks.
Here [0] is the same import previously on gitlab.com pushed to alioth’s git.
And the tooling to do so in [1].

The flow of comments seem to be on the quite side so if the workflow is deemed
suitable and no one shouts I’ll go ahead with the conversion beginning of
August.

[0] https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debian-desktop/d-b-conversion-test.git/
[1] https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/debian-desktop/d-b-conversion.git/

Cheers,