desktop files for xscreensaver hacks in different desktop environments

[Please follow up to debian-desktop@lists.debian.org only]

Hi all desktop environment packagers,

The xscreensaver software is divided into several binary packages [0],
where some of these ship collections of screensaver hacks (basically a
small program that draws something nice or funny on the screen and can
be launched by a screensaver daemon).

These xscreensaver packages also ship desktop files for their hacks
[1]. The desktop files are not used by the xscreensaver daemon or its
configuration utilities, they are only shipped as a service to users
so that they can easily install and use the hacks even if they cannot
use the xscreensaver daemon (because some desktop environment had to
run their own show for screensaver daemon solution, a touch of NIH and
all that).

Then some DEs would like to use these desktop files and some DEs need
to have them hidden. Up to now we have been using "OnlyShowIn=GNOME;"
but e.g. Mate wants to be added [2].

I would like to change this to "NotShowIn", as per Jonas suggestion in
that bug report. This can be discussed. Either way, we would need to
know which DE should be whitelisted, respectively, blacklisted.

The freedesktop.org DE list is

"GNOME", "KDE", "LXDE", "MATE", "Razor", "ROX", "TDE", "Unity",
"XFCE", "Cinnamon", "EDE", "Old"

Which of these can use the screensaver hack desktop files, and which
need them hidden?

An alternative for me is to stop shipping any desktop files and leave
that to the DE but that would be silly if they can be of use and we
can sort this out without too much trouble.

Please follow up to debian-desktop@lists.debian.org only.

Best regards,
Tormod

[0] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=596944