Re: Please restore Squeeze desktop

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 10:42:16AM +0000, Alan Hutchinson wrote:
> Dear Sirs

(And m'ams :) )

> I have upgraded from Debian Squeeze to Wheezy.  Thank you for it.  It is my
> major software platform.
>
> The desktop is causing me problems.  For instance
> - if an xterm window is dragged to the right side of the screen, it immediately
> expands to fill the whole screen and there is no obvious way to reduce it back
> to a half screen size.
> - random clicks on seemingly harmless bits of the screen cause xterm windows to
> collapse.  Once collapsed, they can only be opened so that they fill the whole
> screen.
>
> These issues cause me extra effort, physical and mental, because I often want
> to work with several such windows, reading in some and writing to others.  Once
> one has filled the screen, this is much harder.  Under Squeeze, one could just
> click on a partly hidden window and it came to the top.

I'm sorry to hear this.

However, this list is for discussion of the desktop artwork and other
bits of coordination. Perhaps you want to ask the relevent team - it
sounds like you might have had your GNOME updated to GNOME3. If that's
the case, perhaps you're interested in talking about how to resolve
these issues with the GNOME team.

If this isn't the case, and you happen to be running KDE or Xfce4, their
teams are also awesome and I'm sure willing to help.

Thanks so much!
  Paul

> The solution in Wheezy seems to be to keep different windows in separate
> desktops.  Under Squeeze, changing between desktops was just a matter of
> clicking on the new desktop's image in the bottom toolbar.  Under Wheezy, one
> must click on the "Activities" header, then click on the preferred desktop
> image, then click on the xterm image in that new desktop to enlarge it.
>
> Could you please restore the interface used in Squeeze?
>
> Regards and best wishes
> Alan Hutchinson

Cheers,
  Paul

--
 .''`.  Paul Tagliamonte <paultag@debian.org>  |   Proud Debian Developer
: :'  : 4096R / 8F04 9AD8 2C92 066C 7352  D28A 7B58 5B30 807C 2A87