Re: Suggestion for Artwork proposals for Wheezy

Hi Zack,

Sure I can try. Never have done wiki editing before but why not! Just trying to get my wiki registration going and supposedly it's slow at the moment.
Thanks for the quick feedback.
There is a clarification to be made rregarding voting, it is as you said except that atleast I know i'm willing to rework on the proposal if it gets a majorty vote and that is what I had in mind. Every stage the proposal is worked on and retouched. Initial stages for submissions, we could focus on sketch concepts, ideas, and a vote will be taken and then before heading for the second stage of voting, submitters will rework on it again, digitziing it and so on before it being voted again. The final stage should be a breeze then.

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 6:19 AM, Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 05:39:04AM -0500, Abi R wrote:
> I'm Abi and I'm new to the debian mailing lists. I was told about the
> request for wheezy artwork proposals and as I'm interested in contributing,
> I had a talk with pabs and he suggested I drop all these ideas I had onto
> the mailing lists and therefore here it goes

Thanks for your feedback!

> 1. So, instead my idea was that debian have a communication channel,
> currently there's #debian-desktop,  wherein we discuss these things besides
> the mailing list and to schedule meetings on irc.

Sure, we can advertise that channel in the proposal guidelines for
people who have questions, doubts, etc.  Would you mind mentioning it on
the wiki pages?

> 2. We branch out each task from the overall theme. i.e we allow people to
> make individual submissions be it for the Boot Screen or for the wallpaper.
> This way even if a proposal for a wallpaper is rejected, the
> artist/designer isn't going to be discouraged and will likely come back up
> with another concept and likely faster.

This seems to be the most important part of what you're suggesting. How
about changing the guidelines so that we do not *require* people to
submit all at once, but we just *encourage* to do so. People will be
free to submit the pieces they want, the more the better.  If there are
no objections, I suggest you do the change directly in the wiki page
describing submission guidelines and let us know.

> 3. We set a time slot/stage for submissions. Preferably a submission stage
> where it's open to everyone and we take a vote, the selected concepts move
> to the second stage and then a vote again, and finally to the final stage
> where the concepts can be molded and re-touched before it is ready to be
> released.

I believe that multiple votes will just disperse the interest of our
users in let us know what they prefer. But if the submitters are willing
to rework their proposals once they've been voted (which is probably the
case anyhow), then it's not a big deal to vote only on "partial"
submissions.

Bottom line: we really need people willing to work on the submission
guidelines and keep this list informed. If you're willing to help with
that, that's great.

Cheers.
--
Stefano Zacchiroli     zack@{upsilon.cc,pps.jussieu.fr,debian.org} . o .