Re: Regarding the logo legality stuff

On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 1:55 AM, Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Arthur Machlas <arthur.machlas@gmail.com>
>> Has anyone just asked for permission? I mean, "permission has been
>> given to use the official logo on clothing (shirts, hats, etc) as long
>> as they are made by a Debian developer and not sold for profit." [1],
>
> Permission for a specific use is not enough to satisfy DFSG §6.
> Permission for Debian alone is not enough to satisfy DFSG §7 and §8.
>
> Yes, this makes it problematic to both hold a trademark on a work and
> grant license that satisfies DFSG.

I appreciate the newb edification. If there's some wiki or such that
could help me understand this, I'd appreciate it. At the moment, I am
wondering:

0. DFSG
So, an official logo or trademark is considered software, and
therefore subject to DFSG?

6, 7, 8: Is a official logo or tradmark considered a "program"? All
three of these seem to only apply to "programs"

Many thanks,
AM