Focus follows mouse & Fvwm (new user)

I recently upgraded to the Debian Testing (reinstall on a new hard
drive), and it seems that my long-time favorite window manager,
Sawfish, is broken. So I've set out on a quest to find another window
manager that supports focus follows mouse.

A lot of WMs claim they support it (or its cousin, sloppy focus), but
it's far too easy to have a window under the mouse without focus. For
instance, after a drag and drop, or if you open a menu in one window
and close it while the focus is on another. I tried using Xfwm4, and it
seems to get confused if you pass more than a couple of windows!

I've just started using Fvwm2. I suspect an ancient window manager is
less likely to get "updated" in such a way that it breaks, so it might
be the place to stay. But although it has a working "sloppy focus"
model, if I enable:

   Style * MouseFocus

I still seem to get sloppy focus. Does anyone know why, or what I can
do to fix it? I can work with sloppy focus, but I would much prefer it
if when my pointer is over the desktop, no window has the focus. I
don't really pay attention to window decorations: I just assume that
wherever the mouse pointer is, that's where the focus is.

Also: Everytime I get an email, Fvwm switches to the desktop my email
client is on and raises the window. Does someone know how I can disable
this behavior?

Thanks!
--
Tristan.