Re: A general question about options.

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 06:07:28PM -0400, Seth Herr wrote:
> Not to be too rude but the option to compile Gnome or KDE from source
> with whatever specific options you would like exists specifically for
> this purpose. Pre-compiled binaries generally exist for less skilled
> users and, as such, *should* include widly used options such as avahi,
> zero conf,   etc. The challenge of a widly usable desktop enviroment is
I always thought, that pre-compiled binaries generally existed for
convenience of maintaining the binary distribution.
Anyway, I just suggest, that questionable options should remain optional.
I suggest this as a general policy rule.
It's okay if they are turned on by default, but I still have not found
any realistic way for an average sysadmin to securely turn them off.
Current kdelibs source package is not intended to be compiled without avahi.
Just check the configure file and you will know why.

> to tailor it for the largest subset of users without compromising the
> integrity and security of the system as a whole. Might I suggest emacs as
> a desktop environment for you if you find the inclusion of too many
> additional packages a burdon and don't want to compile your GUI from
Well, emacs is what I'm personally using. (They say you can do everything with
emacs. They just don't have to read OpenOffice diagrams.)
And yes, I have tried to compile kdelibs without avahi.
It does not configure. It has no "avahi" or "zeroconf" configure options.
Almost everything can be turned off - TIFF, libIDN, CUPS. But not avahi.
Okay, I'm lying. Emacs can turn off everything, that's the true power.
It looks for me, that I should go to source repository, try to find
old version without avahi, then merge all later changes, that aren't
avahi-related.
You call it "the option to compile Gnome or KDE from source" ?
I call it misdesign. (Misdesign often happens in commercial software, you know)
Well, could I be security-concerned, but still no expert in svn and autoconf?

> source. On a side note, avahi, zero-conf, et. al. can still be disabled
> at the rc level you want to run at and, even though installed, are
> disabled and and should satisfy your need for "security". I suppose the
Well, my experience suggests, that in real world some applications often
exists separately from their config files, so this is a rather risky approach.
I also remember an incindent when some daemons were restarted during a
package upgrade, but they shouldn't be started since they had incorrect
configuration and were not enabled by /etc/rc?.d links.
But they started to serve the network. So I'm a paranoic about that.

> point is that Linux and Debian as a whole still very much adhere to the
> principal that you, as the user, have ultimate control of your system and
> if you tale the time to understand the inner workings, can adjust it to
> exaclu fit your needs.
Yes, it was true. Now it is not. Because Nobody Cares.

> Seth
Thanks for your opinion anyway.