a problem with my mouse pointer on the screen

Dear Mr./Mrs.

Right after I have succseeded in instaling Linux Debian from "debian-40r3-i386-CD-1.iso", I am experiencing a problem with my mouse. The mouse pointer is slow and unstable no matter how i configure the mouse settings. My machine is old - Celeron 333Mhz, 320MB RAM, 13 GB HDD where Debian is installed and another 6GB HDD(master) with "Windows XP 2002" on it. My mouse is of the type "Microsoft PS/2" with 2 buttons and no scroll.
Would you please be so kind (or other people from the project Debian) and help me solve this problem?

Sincerely yours, Hristo Mitkov, age 36, Bulgaria