Re: Graphic Design Work

Am Mittwoch 18 April 2007 16:39 schrieb James Herrington:
> Hi,
>
> I am a young graphic/web designer and am looking to gain some high
> profile experience for my portfolio. I have heard from other debian
> mailing lists that some graphic design work is currently going into
> the debian desktop. Is there any suitable work for someone with my
> experience?

Dear James,

on behalf of Debian-Edu (aka Skolelinux) which is a well established
system running in over 450 schools all over the world, I can tell you
there is quite a few things to do that
- make kids using free software at school happier
- could make your work and styles popular globally
- can make free software more attractive to decision makers.

There are two points to start with:
1. An individual desktop (KDE theme) with stylish widgets and icons that
match the taste of teenagers.
So far we use the default KDE desktop theme plus some 'cool' wallpaper.
2. The web presentation has moved from a plone CMS to the debian wiki
(http://www.skolelinux.org points to http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu).
The result is rather pale - decision makers need a mocked up show case
to get convinced.

Debian-Edu/Skolelinux 3.0 "Terra" (based on Debian Etch) is to be
released this year. So there is your chance to  become famous in no
time ;)

I will send a copy (XPost) to debian-edu mailing list - please proceed
there: debian-edu at lists.debian.org

With kind regards
Ralf