Requesting advice regarding creating a custom desktop distribution

Hi,
I have recently started a project to create a custom Debian distribution DebIce which provides a desktop with very low hardware requirements. I would appreciate any advice you could give me regarding the following as I would guess you have encountered similar issues in trying to complete desktop versions.

1) Inclusion of software not currently available in the Debian package tree.
I have discovered there is some software not present in Debian which is needed for my distribution. Some of this software is already packaged for Debian by others and some of it is not.
2) Any issue and problems you think I may encounter.

If anyone would like to help out please send me an email. We need testing, packaging, and other tasks accomplished. Thanks!