Re: desktop task: package list

Seg, 2006-11-27 às 16:05 -0200, Gustavo Franco escreveu:
> On 11/25/06, Luis Matos <a26652@alunos.mec.ua.pt> wrote:
> > Sáb, 2006-11-25 às 19:37 -0200, Gustavo Franco escreveu:

> > > Actually we've the 'desktop' task for this and the recent added 'xfce'
> > > to act as lightweight desktop options.
> >
> > ok, i understand your point ... in tasksel you can choose desktop, but
> > witch one is installed, does it appear all options?
>
> Actually GNOME is the default during the regular installation, but one
> that wants kde or xfce will be able to point it out before the
> installer boots. If it isn't yet, the feature will be documented in
> the installation manual.
>
> > i thought that a desktop task was shown and installed kde minimal and
> > gnome minimal. And then, another task installed, for example, a gnome
> > optimised gnome desktop.
>
> There's no 'desktop environment foo minimal' and 'desktop environment
> foo optimised' tasks. Just 'desktop' (using twm), 'gnome-desktop',
> 'kde-desktop' and 'xfce-desktop'.

i just want that debian's gnome desktop is full of applications that can
serve the common users.

gnome desktop can be a good integrated environment. ( the other i don't
know). I use it and have set several desktop machines in a fine way.

> > this one, i would like to make, let's say, completely functional with no
> > needs for a common user to install anything more. It just has all
> > functions  provided my windows or MacOS.
> >
> > they are:
> >  . audio and video codecs
> done.
>
> >  . out of the box drivers
> done, but it depends of your hardware as windows and macos. ;)
>
> >  . filesystem support
> i bet we support through the linux kernel more than windows and/or macos does.

the filesystem support is trought gnomevfs. i think gvfs is great and
it's easy for users to detect, for example, a pen that has been mounted.

> >  . and desktop integration
> almost done.

almost done????

> > (...)
> > >
> > > hmm?
> >
> > contacts is an address book for pda's. but it is good to just have an
> > address book. it's lightwheight and it can substitute evolution in a
> > fast lookup.
>
> oh, i'll take a look. thanks.

i have only the version in etch but there is a new one in unstable.

> > (...)
> > >
> > > We've totem using xine backend and browser plugins too. In other
> > > words, you can see that pretty good apple traillers on their website,
> > > got it? ;)
> >
> > i am using gstreamer. witch backend supports more codecs?
>
> xine.

> > > We've gnome games. ;)
> >
> > true, but these i think are good to add.
>
> Probably, remember us during lenny development cycle. You can start
> something in wiki.d.o. Do you know our wiki?

yes, i'll try to make a page. but this is possible for etch. they both
exist.

> > > needs review for Lenny, but we've good support for Etch.
> >
> > my aim is to support all available. if the user needs it, it is there.
>
> The best way is check what we haven't in d-i etch rc1 yet, just a few i bet. ;)
i'll try to check.

also, i opened a bug for tasksel to include gnome-spell... please take a
look.