Re: Debian Desktop (Status for Etch).

On Friday 17 November 2006 14:24, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> On ven, 2006-11-17 at 09:22 +0100, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) wrote:
> > no need to implement anything new in xfce see [1] and [2] (the patch
> > in
> > #348702 uses that)
>
> Yes, I now know that Xfce can handle this. But how is managed systemwide
> settings from different derivatives ? Does desktop-base do it ? How ?

freedesktop base directory specification provides for cascading
configuration sets (multilevel configuration), and [1] specifies where in a
freedesktop configuration set XFCE looks for it's configuration.

For handling settings from different derivatives/CDD's the idea is that:
- every derivative/CDD defines it's  own configuration set(s) (and each CDD
  probably wants to activate that set by default)
- you then give the admin the tools to easily decide which configuration
   sets get activated when [1] and in which order [2], which allows him to
   deal with any conflicts/problems that prop up when multiple
   derivatives/CDD's each add in there own configuration sets.
  [1] e.g. on a shared family computer you'd probably want to limit the
      activation of a (hypothetical) Debian-jr config set to the kids'
      accounts
  [2] the order becomes important when you have 2 or more config sets
      defining a value for the same settings, in which case the relative
      order in which the sets are loaded determines which value is used

(It's the 2nd point that desktop-profiles adresses, providing such a
 tool. Of course the generic quality of such a tool comes at a price (IMO
 a small one) in the form of:
 - a small performance hit (0.09s on my system when using dash),
 - and increased complexity (relative to hardcoding a isolated extra config
   set)
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)