Re: corporate debian desktop

Jeremy Schoenhaar wrote:

If you could describe and collaberate a little more on what exacly your
goals are with this project, I may be willing to help. How does the
company you are working for come into this? Are they planning on
marketing it? Or supporting it? Do they have nothing to do with it at
all?
This is not for the company. This came when we had to set up 7 desktop clients and not having time, nor experience (who was installing) for package selection. Because there were only 7 desktops, there would not be much time to make a new installer (with preseeds).

Another dificulty was connect them into an autentication server (i am not working on this). pam-pgsql was my option, but maybe there are other more relyable and simplier methods.

Would sofware packages need to be added, removed, completely developed?
What exactly do you mean by a corperate desktop?
first, by corporate desktop i mean a business driven desktop, with all integrated funcionalyties and user oriented. For corporate desktop, in the end, i would like to have a simple desktop (gnome) with all applications that are needed (office, email, im client, some editing applications like glabels, video player, with codecs support, etc)

Also, i would like to add some configuration issues, regarding network interface, configuring pam-sql, pam-ldap, pam-smb, and, if possible, define mount points.

Also, a gconf default profile that would not include any administrative tasks on the menu (any su application) and defined applets (for example).

On the company side, a comand line script that would automate the change of grub, gdm, gnome splash and gnome background change.

This features would improve desktop integration and instalation on small business, in first place, and bigger ones, regarding the simplicity made by the features.

Well ... talking on irc with some people in #debian on freenode, i was told that this could be made by improving tasksel. I must say it is a good idea, because then the "package" could be preseeded when remastering the debian cd.

best regards
Luis Matos