Re: Debian Artwork Proposals on wiki

On Friday 06 October 2006 11:23, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-10-06 at 08:56 +0200, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis) wrote:
> > as XFCE follows the Freedesktop basedir spec, you can override the
> > desktop-background just fine without messing with compile settings,
> > namely
> > in $XDG_CONFIG_DIR/xfce4/mcs_settings/desktop.xml [1], again see
> > #348702
>
> Ah yes, checked this bug but didn't test (because it wasn't really
> documented so...).

documentation on the XFCE side consists out of 'we follow the basedir spec'
last time I looked (indead rather sparse :), so I'll give a short
explanation:

1) XFCE (>= 4.2) follows the Freedesktop base directory specification, what
   this means is that XFCE supports stackable configuration sets (these
   are called configuration sources in gnome-speak, and profiles in
   kde-speak)
2) the configuration sets to load by default are:
   - the systemwide one (baked into the packages)
   - the user one (settings here take precedence over systemwide ones)
3) adding in additional configuration sets, and setting precedence among
   them is done through 2 environment variables (XDG_CONFIG_DIR and
   XDG_DATA_DIR), in Debian these (and similar desktop-specific variables)
   are managed by the desktop-profiles package.

-> this allows central configuration of settings
-> this allows multiple configuration sets present in parallell, better
   still it even allows to activate different sets for different users

There are small differences in exactly how configuration stacking works for
each of the major desktops, but the possibilites outlined above are present
for KDE, XFCE, GNOME (not managed through desktop-profiles with default
gconf configuration), ROX and GNUSTEP.

Differences among desktops are:
- the exact mechanism to change the configurations sets (but
  desktop-profiles provides 1 common mechanism)
- the granularity of the stacking (per config file, or per config value)
- wether you can have mandatory settings or not (yes for GNOME an KDE, no
  for XFCE), but that's not something we need here anyway

If anyone wants more details look at the desktop-profiles manpage which has
pointers to the relevant desktop-specific and freedesktop docs (and if it's
still unclear ask and I'll try to explain)
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)