Roadmap (was: Re: Debian Artwork Proposals on wiki)

On Thursday 05 October 2006 16:08, Fathi Boudra wrote:
> just the timing is the problem, for Etch or post Etch ...

Ok here's my take:

For Etch:
1) agreement from the different pkg-foo packages that there should be a
   common theme
	-> done?
2) agreement that this will be setup by a common source package
  (desktop-base)
	-> done?
3) setup common neutral repository for desktop-base, and some people from
   the various DE's with commit rights who collectively maintain it
	-> there's a debian-desktop project on alioth, is it currently used for
           anything?
4) decide on a set of artwork to include in etch
	-> start with 1 set of the 8 items identified in the meeting
           (debblue?)
5) package the artwork and configuration to activate it
	-> start with putting everything in desktop-base refactor in 1 source
           package with multiple binaries later ?
	-> the meeting log say something about pkg-config overrides for gnome
	-> xfce and kde can be configured by defining a config-set and using
           desktop-profiles to activate it (as demonstrated by #348702)
   => just needs some work, no real problems here AFAICT, I'll volunteer to
      create the config sets for xfce and kde if someone can tell me which
      artwork to use.

Post-etch:
- have some clear documentation of the requirements for the artwork, size
  format, ...
- have a contest for more and better artwork
- enlarge the scope of desktop-base to do more:
  + more elements (icons, bootsplash, ...)
  + tweaks to upstream default configuration sets.
- ...
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)