corporate debian desktop

this email was sent to: walters (at) debian.org ; madkiss (at)debian.org
with no answear ... so, decided to post them here.

mail is this one:

hello there

To introduce, i am Luis Matos, from Portugal, i am a Mechanical
Engeneering student from the University of Aveiro.
I am also an adviser/developper for a small, in the beginning, IT company.

I am writing this email because i have an idea and a project for
sometime now and, for lack of time, and help, it had gone some steps
ahead, and some back ...

For that company we have the problem to setup enterprise desktops.
Ubuntu has been their desktop, because it comes all so smoothy ... well
... some breakdowns after ... maybe debian was a better option.

I all stand for the debian solution because of package quality assurance
and longer release cycles. But debian does not come ready for desktop
out-of-the-box.

Ok, there is a desktop option in tasksel, ok, but ... that's not true
desktop.
The meaning of true desktop, is the desktop with all that we need ...
and nothing more. Also, we have to do users management, connect the
desktop to a network, blah, blah.

I filled yesterday, a project to alioth, with the objective of, if
accepted, to have help and publicity to the purpose. The project was
rejected with the setence: "Alone you won't be able to manage such an
ambitious project." , and the order to "I strongly suggest you to join
forces with debian-desktop ".
My ideia was to make some work first, and then, collect the glory . But,
they have right.

i post here the description that i sent to alioth:

New Alioth Project Submitted

Project Full Name:  Debian Corporate Desktop
Submitted Description: Debian is a fantastic distribution for corporate
use, but there is no easy to use configuration for corporate desktop.
The point of this project is to aim for a corporate dektop solution
based on:
1) desktop packages necessary by a corporate or business desktop
(workstation)
2) configuration scripts and automated instalation/configuration.
Ofering preseed files to introduce automated desktop instalation and
debian packages for easy desktop configuration
3) It walks with testing distribution.
4) Packaging with diferent sources: debian main, contrib, non-free and
3rd party packages (video/audio codecs, sun java support, flash and some
other not in debian respositories)

For long time i have tryed to start this project, but have no help, nor
divulgation. So, i am running for alioth for, not only help, but to
transform the project into a real opensource project.
License: gpl

I think this is a problem, not just to the company that i am working
for, but to many others, and we could be able to manage this.

Besides that description, we could have menu items from gnome  removed,
for users, such as administrative tasks.

I have already done some work, not that much, have a list of packages
that could be interesting to include. I first started to do the package
list for sarge, but ... it was working for almost nothing, because
testing is almost stable (in the sense of the post sarge changes), and
also because etch has a losts of new software that is nice, such as the
upcoming sabayon tool.

for all this, i would like to know what you think of that, and if i can
get your support to start (one can distract the alitoh's admin, and the
otherone creates the project).

feel free to post the answear in debian-desktop

Best Regards

Luis Matos