Re: Splashy 0.1.x and the future of bootsplashing

Hello Joey,

On 3/20/06, Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:
> Could someone please let me know when plashy is in testing and ready for
> evaluation for inclusion in the standard desktop task?

Will do. Otavio will probably allow splashy to enter Sid soon. We'll
keep a mental note of this.

> (I forget if I've looked at this particular package or not already, I
> know that I've looked at some others which required vga= boot options,
> which made them less appealing for the task.)

In order to allow the framebuffer to be started by the kernel at boot,
vga=xxx is required. For 2.6.14 kernels and up, vesafb must be
compiled-in, not as module, so, this makes things simpler for people
who want an image at boot.

We should add a debconf question to allow vga= to be added to your
bootloader (handle different for quik, lilo, grub, etc...). Or at
least a note should be presented to the users about adding vga= by
themselves after installing splashy.

Of course, the simplest thing might be to add an option to
/etc/kernel-img.conf or whatever, so that the stuff that updates the
boot loader file (update-grub or whatever) does the right thing
without Splashy needing to worry about that.

I guess there is no easy way around that problem... but, a solution
should surface soon.

--
Luis Mondesi

"We think basically you watch television to turn your brain off, and
you work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on" --
Steve Jobs in an interview for MacWorld Magazine 2004-Feb

No .doc: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.es.html