Re: Splashy 0.1.x and the future of bootsplashing

Hello Joey,

On 3/20/06, Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:
> Could someone please let me know when plashy is in testing and ready for
> evaluation for inclusion in the standard desktop task?

Will do. Otavio will probably allow splashy to enter Sid soon. We'll
keep a mental note of this.

> (I forget if I've looked at this particular package or not already, I
> know that I've looked at some others which required vga= boot options,
> which made them less appealing for the task.)

In order to allow the framebuffer to be started by the kernel at boot,
vga=xxx is required. For 2.6.14 kernels and up, vesafb must be
compiled-in, not as module, so, this makes things simpler for people
who want an image at boot.

We should add a debconf question to allow vga= to be added to your
bootloader (handle different for quik, lilo, grub, etc...). Or at
least a note should be presented to the users about adding vga= by
themselves after installing splashy.

Of course, the simplest thing might be to add an option to
/etc/kernel-img.conf or whatever, so that the stuff that updates the
boot loader file (update-grub or whatever) does the right thing
without Splashy needing to worry about that.

I guess there is no easy way around that problem... but, a solution
should surface soon.

Luis Mondesi
System Administrator

"We think basically you watch television to turn your brain off, and
you work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on" --
Steve Jobs in an interview for MacWorld Magazine 2004-Feb

No .doc: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.es.html