Re: running /etc/profile

On Monday 13 March 2006 08:13, Chandan M. C. wrote:
> Hai ,
>  In debian if I run /etc/profile file using . /etc/profile , No commands
> will work in the terminal .. May I know the reason why , and how to solve
> it .. If not profile file , then where and how to set the environment
> variables .....

global environment variables should be set in /etc/environment (whitch is
read by all shells not just bourne-compatible ones)

'. /etc/profile' should work for bourne-compatible shells, do note that the
default /etc/profile on Debian doesn't do much of anything, and won't
provide any visible results
-> what commands are you expecting to work by running '. /etc/profile'?
-> what does your /etc/profile look like?
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)