Re: i am getting only rectangle boxes with alpha -numeric characters

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006, U. Sudhakar wrote:

> I am having Debian. I tried to view the tamil pages from this website &
> Desktop,Openoffice. i included the TTF fonts from C-DAC in to my system.
> Now i could able to view this site but the word are not clear and correct.
>
> But with this i am getting only rectangle boxes with alpha -numeric
> characters.
> My aim is to view and work with Linux Mozilla on Tamil Websites.
>
> What could be the problem.... Can u help me.

It could be an encoding problem.  Some Indian web sites use Unicode
(preferred) some use ISCII and some TSCII.  And some use completely
idiosyncratic encoding.  Normally Mozilla can guess the right one to use
but you can also manually adjust it if it is wrong.  Of course you also
need the right fonts.  In Debian, Unicode encoded Tamil fonts are in the
ttf-tamil-fonts package.

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>