Re: A quick start guide for sarge

Le vendredi 10 juin 2005 à 18:07 +0200, Paul Frederiks a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I've started working on a "quick start guide" for new desktop users of the
> sarge release. A lot of the current documentation is targeted at woody and
> therefore gives deprecated or needlessly complicated advice. The sarge
> release features an easy installer, hardware auto-detection and when the
> desktop task is selected it features probably 80% of the applications an
> ordinary user needs. These facts should make it possible to write a quick
> start guide. I've put a incomplete draft on the web[1]. I am already
> questioning a lot of the decisions I've made thusfar, and seek advice / help.
>
> I've used XHTML1.1+CSS. Other tools might be more appropriate.
>
> Not wanting to duplicate other documentation I'll link where appropriate.
>  This results in lazyness.... leaving large gaps in the story. A way to
>  prevent this is describing in detail a typical installation: i386, netboot
>  iso, Windows in another partition, auto-partition the free space, an
>  official debian mirror, the desktop task, setting up X, setting up a printer
>  and a scanner, using aptitude or synaptic. Then I could give pointers in my
>  'notes' section if you need a different approach. Problem: this 'notes'
>  section is growing larger than the guide itself.
>
> Most of the questions asked by newbies relates to non-free drivers or
> software. I think it is best to write a seperate document about these issues,
> but how should I address this now? The first question to be answered in the
> troubleshooting X section would be: How to install ATI / Nvidia drivers?
For that specific matter, you'll probably want to take a look at
Ubuntu's Wiki, or the following http://www.bxlug.be/articles/138 and
http://www.bxlug.be/articles/206.

For more subjects related to Debian and Desktop, I would suggest you
have a look at the two following:
http://www.bxlug.be/documentation/debian
http://glasnost.beeznest.org/articles/72

They are not what you want to do, but can help you prepare it.
If you have any comment, don't hesitate to tell me, I'm one of the
authors of these articles.