Re: Debian and Bootsplash. A paradox?

On 5/11/05, raid517 <raid517@fairadsl.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi can someone please help me? I have installed bootsplash in my Kanotix
[snip]
> [code] title        Kanotix/Linux, kernel
> root        (hd0,5)
> kernel        /vmlinuz root=/dev/hda3 ro ramdisk_size=100000 lang=us
> apm=power-off selinux=0 nomce vga=791 splash=silent video=vesafb:nomtrr
> boot[/code]
>
> The relevant sections of dmesge regarding bootsplash show no problems:

[snip]

Well, you said any help appreciated, so, here is mine:
http://alioth.debian.org/projects/splashy
http://wiki.nanofreesoft.org/index.php/Splashy

We struggle a lot to get kernel patches to do something that should
NOT be done by the kernel in the first place. So, we started
"splashy", which is a user-space bootsplash program which works for
all UNIX (POSIX) compatible operating systems. All you need to make it
work:
1. a framebuffer
2. glib-2.x
3. libdirectfb-0.9.x

For easier access:

Add debian experimental or the splashy repository to your
/etc/apt/sources.list file as explained in the wiki. then do:

apt-get --purge remove splashy usplash bootsplash debsplash
apt-get install splashy

Make sure that you keep your grub line with vga=791, the splash=
argument is not needed.

Reboot and enjoy...

Note: we have justs uploaded splashy to experimental. We hope to have
a fully stable splashy code in a few more days. But for now, this is a
good piece of code to get your hands on and start making your debian
boxes prettier.

--
Luis M

"We think basically you watch television to turn your brain off, and
you work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on" --
Steve Jobs in an interview for MacWorld Magazine 2004-Feb

No .doc: http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.es.html