Re: YaST2 for Debian (aka nYaST)

On сб, 2004-11-20 at 19:49, Carlos Garnacho wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 22:30 +0100, C. Gatzemeier wrote:
> > Thanks for the overview Rumen!
> >
> > > and Debian in architectural level. For example almost all configurations
> > > in YaST2 are made in directory sysconfig which is not LSB1/2 compatible,
> >
> > Is it correct that the settings from /etc/sysconfig are written to the actual
> > application's config files in a second step?
> >
> > Can settings in the /etc/sysconfig get out of sync with files under /etc?
> >
> > Does the method involve leaving special "do not modify here" or "only modify
> > here or there" areas or magic comments in the config files that can
> > potentially confuse other tools or the user? Or will confuse yast if they are
> > removed?
> >
> > What happens if config files are changed manually or with other tools? Does
> > yast still work on those, and does it preserve the formating or comments?
> >

> Sadly, some of the yast2 tools won't let the user change their config by
> hand. For example, their services tool relies on the command insserv for
> inserting or removing services, any attempt of modifying them by hand
> will be rewritten.
That's true, but is so simple to stop these daemons or to patch (much
better) the source code - for me it's bad idea such behaviour at the
current state - so one should be able to modify manually and
automatically (via interface) all the stuff.. Furthermore as we know
Debian's service management serious differs than SuSe's (not only
because System V/BSD init's) so one day it will be mandatory to change
such behaviour, if we want clean "Debian way" app...
Otherwise, in such meaning we can make in Debian /etc/sysconfig but this
is very ugly and dirty solution for me..

Regards
Rumen

---
Rumen Krasstev - Object Builder Software Bulgaria
Sofia, 113 Tzarigradsko Shose, phone: +359 2 974 33 16
web: http://www.obs.bg, email: rkrastev@obs.bg, icq: 35447386
###I'm using only free or/and open source software###
Share the freedom - "Free Software Association - Bulgaria" http://www.fsa-bg.org
---