Fwd: Debian Custom devcamp?

At the moment, 12 people reported their interest on debian-custom. No one
Debian-Desktop related AFAIK. Though a current Debian (DDD) repository and
configuration handling may be of very common interest :)

Subject: Debian Custom devcamp?
Date: Tuesday 28 September 2004 09:51
From: Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>
To: debian-custom@lists.debian.org

Who whould be interested in joining a Debian Custom development camp,
if travel and accomondation were sponsored?  The focus should be
improving your Custom Debian Distribution while coordinating use of
tools and methods with the other CDDs.

If there is intereste in this, I'll look for sponsors and a sensible
location.  Location would be picked to reduce the total travel cost,
ie closest to as many as possible.

Please post

  Your name
  CDD project name
  Location/place of departure when traveling

to this list as soon as possible.  Just to have some deadline, I set
it to 2004-10-10, but please post as soon as possible.

If you know anyone interested in sponsoring such event, please let me
know.  I expect total costs around ~5000 EURO based on experience from
the Debian Edu devcamps, but this is just guesswork.

At the moment, 12 people reported their interest.

Projects (each person is associated with several projects):

  Debian-BR-CDD: 2
  Debian Edu:    2
  Debian Jr:     2
  Debian NP:     7
  Debian-Med:    1
  LliureX:       1
  Morphix:       1
  Ubuntu:        2
  UserLinux:     1

Departing country:
  (Europa)
  Belgia:      1
  Germany:     1
  Italy:       2
  Netherlands: 1
  Norway:      1
  Spain:       1
  (N-America)
  Canada:      1
  USA:         1
  (S-America)
  Brazil:      2

I've seen two proposals for location, Andreas Tille suggested
Testzentrum in Gütersloh, and Marco Presi suggested somewhere in
Italy.  I find it unsafe to set my foot on an USA airport, so that is
out of the question for me.  I'm open for suggestions otherwise.

Looking at the departing countries, I believe somewhere in Europe will
be the best option.  It would need to have good connections to Brazil,
USA and Canada, and should have direct flights from the European
contries as well.  Schipol, Heathrow and Frankfurt comes to mind as
good airports to focus on.  Do we have any good locations close to
these airports?

A gathering should be scheduled 2-3 months in the future to make sure
we can find cheap tickets.

> If you know anyone interested in sponsoring such event, please let
> me know.  I expect total costs around ~5000 EURO based on experience
> from the Debian Edu devcamps, but this is just guesswork.

SLX Debian Labs would probably be interested to sponsor this, but it
would be good to find more sponsors to keep the load on SLX Debian
Labs at a reasonable level.  Assuming flight prizes on the average 600
EURO per person, we are looking at 7200 EURO for flights, plus food
and accommodation.