Re: can we find a Debian solution for Bootsplash?

On Sun, 2004-08-08 at 15:01 +0200, Per Olofsson wrote:
> Tom von Schwerdtner:
> > I have always preferred bootsplash over rhgb simply because with
> > bootsplash you never see any console output, you go straight from the
> > grub/lilo somewhat-graphical display to a perdy graphical boot.  With
> > rhgb you tend to see a fair amount of console gibberish before the
> > splash fires up.
>
> There's a kernel option, "quiet", which disables console messages. It
> could be used together with an initramfs image which displays a boot
> splash on the framebuffer using a user mode tool. initramfs is loaded
> early in the boot process, earlier than initrd. Thus you can get an
> early boot splash image and no console messages without patching
> the kernel.

I agree with the quiet option, however some of us don't use initrd-
enabled kernels at all. Maybe a better solution would be to enable
"quiet" mode in the kernel and have some rcS.d script with a very early
number "S01whatever" and have that script run something that builts some
kind of framework for people to put their own splash images (a la
bootsplash).
Just some thoughts...
I have had too many problems with initrd in the past, so I tend to
compile my kernels without that option. Things run very smooth for me.
But then again maybe I misunderstood Per because I don't really know
what he means by "initramfs".