Re: Gnome menu management

> I'd like to make clear situation with applications menu in Gnome
> desktop. Currently lots of non-tech people does not find required
> programs in Gnome menu. Why some packages are included in Gnome menu,
> and some not?
>
> For example "dosemu" maintainer refused to include it's application in
> Gnome menu:
>
> Other maintainer agreed to include application in gnome menu:
>
> Maybe debian-desktop or debian-gtk-gnome could decide, which
> applications should be included in Gnome menu?

I must admit I agree wirth Herbert Xu in this issue. The only real solution is
to make the Debian menu system use the files in /usr/share/applications
instead of the files /usr/lib/menu. This way, XDG-compliant menus can
use /u/s/applications directly while non-compliant menus can use the menus
created by an appropiate menu-method. I believe Chris Cheney, one of the KDE
maintainers, also believes this is the right way to go.

Anyway, this is a pretty big change and it will basically involve all packages
that have a menu entry... This can maybe be a goal for Sarge+1?

BTW, I'll use this message to bring up another issue. A lot of GNOME
application .desktop files abuse the Name field with a too common name.
For example, Epiphany has "Web Browser". The Name should be Epiphany and the
GenericName "Web Browser".

*/ Christoffer Sawicki <qerub@home.se>