kick starting debian desktop

Hi Everyone,

What do you think of the idea of having a debian desktop release real soon?  In order to get it out real soon the only difference would be a different set of packages or additional set of packages installed by default.  I would ask the install team, Joey Hess, to ask during installation if this is for a server or desktop(unstable).  (I'm sure there is a better way of asking that.)  If it is for a desktop then the default installation would include gnome and KDE.

There are a bunch of other simple changes we could try for example soften the security model.   Debian does a bunch of things to prevent a normal user from abusing the system.  Details: root can't access the screen without executing xauth (blah) command.  On a single user system is this desired?  Perhaps we could eliminate the need to execute xauth.  Do you have other simple changes to propose?

I think having a desktop release would generate lots of interest in the desktop and help get it off the ground.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Daniel
(30+ years software veteran)