Re: bootsplash in debian kernel

On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 02:20:56AM +0100, Bluefuture wrote:
> In regard of: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=228805
>
> Do u say that an user can have bootsplash and progress bar on debian
> with official kernel-header deb without recompile kernel source?
> If an user must to recompile kernel source for bootsplash he can also
> patch the source kernel with all the patch included in
> kernel-patch-debian package. So kernel-patch-debian should be removed from
> debian projects :)... Only original kernel source!!! :)

I think he is saying that bootsplash shouldn't even require a kernel
module to begin with so should be rewritten to properly make use of
fbcon, hence "the same thing can be done in userspace" comment. When
something can be done in userspace just as well as in kernelspace it
should be done in userspace. If there are things bootsplace needs to do
that can't be done in userspace or with fbcon then speak up...

Chris