Re: StarlingX looking at alternatives to CentOS

On 2021-01-29 10:05 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Thu, 2021-01-28 at 10:41 -0800, Saul Wold wrote:
>
> > It's not clear to me how these tools handle dependencies between
> > packages when building packages from source, such as building a
> > library package that an userspace package might depend on.
>
> These days wanna-build uses dose3 to check build-dep installability and
> when the build-deps are not installable, then the package waits in the
> BD-Uninstallable state until the build-deps are built and installable.

It's worth understanding that Debian/Ubuntu have a fundamentally
different approach to this than RedHat/Centos/Suse, and this shows
through in the tools. And I suspect that this is what Saul is asking about.

RH/Centos/Suse rebuild all _depending_ packages when a library is
updated. Debian does not do this, and thus takes care so that library
updates that still satisfy the dependency don't break packages built
against previous versions.

Doing things this way means that we only do builds on upload (although
wanna-build does have 'rebuild X now' functionality.) I'm sure it
wouldn't be hard to get the tools to do the recursive-build thing
using dose for the analysis and wanna-build to fire off the builds, but it's not how things come by default.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/