Re: StarlingX looking at alternatives to CentOS

Hello Saul

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 at 19:30, Saul Wold <Saul.Wold@windriver.com> wrote:

> Our concerns have to do with
> 1) Build Tooling
> We have been looking at pbuilder and debbuild, ,but want to understand
> if there are automated building scripts (I did find buildd).

There are many build tools and frameworks, it really depends on what
you want to accomplish and depends on your needs, as a start please
have a look at:
https://wiki.debian.org/SystemBuildTools

I have been using open-build-service to build different Debian
derivatives in the past.

> 2) LTS / CVE support for Buster
> I have seen the information on the Debian Wiki pages about releases and
> Security team, but I am trying to understand better what LTS means vs
> what the Security team does.

Debian security team is part of Debian and supports the distribution
packages for 2 years after the release. LTS is backed by commercial
company hiring Debian developers, but it is not run by the Debian
community, it extends the distribution lifecycle to a longer term past
the initial official support (2y).

https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/Security
https://wiki.debian.org/LTS

> 3) Status of Bullseye
> Again I have seen the release pages.

Good.

> 4) building custom kernel
> Mostly, I know how to handle kernels and rebuilding, just wondering if
> there is any Debian specific concerns.

No concerns, but you may want to generate Debian kernel *packages*, I
would recommend you to look at Debian kernel handbook

https://kernel-team.pages.debian.net/kernel-handbook/

> 5) lots of other considerations around patching userspace, adding
> missing packages to the debian ecosystem, creating custom repos (either
> with DAK or repropro).

aptly is also a good tool to manage repositories

> 6) other unknowns of transitioning from CentOS -> Debian
>
> I have looked around the Debian Wiki pages.
>
> Thanks in advance for your time.

Thanks for considering Debian,
--