Debian derivatives census: Freedombone: welcome!

Hi Bob,

I would like to welcome yourself and Freedombone to the Debian
derivatives census! Would you like to take this opportunity to
introduce yourself and Freedombone to us all?

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/Freedombone

It would be great if you could join our mailing list and IRC channel:

https://wiki.debian.org/DerivativesFrontDesk

I would encourage you to look at Debian's guidelines for derivatives:

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Guidelines

You may want to look at our census QA page, some of the mails from
there may apply to Freedombone.

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/CensusQA

You don't appear to be subscribed to the Freedombone census page,
I've made a few changes to the Freedombone census page:

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/Freedombone?action=info

You don't appear to be subscribed to the Freedombone census error
output, please add a subscribers line containing your email address.
Please include a similar line for the census page maintainer:

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/CensusTemplate?action=raw

The page says that Freedombone modifies Debian binary packages. It is
quite rare that distributions modify Debian binary packages instead of
modifying source packages and rebuilding them. Does Freedombone
actually do this? If so could you describe what kind of modifications
you are making? If not I guess the page needs to be fixed.

Would it be possible for you to add the Freedombone sources.list to the
wiki page if there is one? This will eventually help feed back patches
and new packages to Debian developers.

I note that Freedombone is based on Debian stable. A great way to help
ensure that the next Debian release is working well is to install and
run the how-can-i-help tool and try to work on any issues that come up.

https://wiki.debian.org/how-can-i-help
https://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/blog/?p=837
https://packages.debian.org/unstable/how-can-i-help

The page is missing a dpkg vendor field. It is important that Debian
derivatives set this properly on installed systems and mention the
value of the field in the derivatives census.

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Guidelines#Vendor

I've added the Freedombone blog to Planet Debian derivatives which
helps the Debian community find out the things that are happening in
the world of Debian derivatives.

https://planet.debian.org/deriv/

Please note that the RSS feed linked to from by the freedombone tag
supplied on the wiki page gives the full feed instead of a feed
restricted to the freedombone tag. So right now all posts from the
Freedombone blog will appear on Planet Debian derivatives.

$ curl -s https://blog.freedombone.net/tag/freedombone | grep alternate
<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" href="https://blog.freedombone.net/rss.xml"; title="RSS Feed">

Since Freedombone is based in the UK you might be interested in joining
one of the local Debian groups in the UK. Also the annual Debian UK BBQ
weekend is always worth a visit and occurs at the end of August. There
are lots of folks there with experience around ARM boards, so it might
be useful to you for Freedombone purposes.

https://wiki.debian.org/LocalGroups#UK
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianLocations
http://wiki.earth.li/DebianParty2019
https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/20190710160114.GB18097@tack.einval.com

Next year the annual Debian conference is in Haifa, Israel. It would be
great if developers from Freedombone could attend DebConf. If this
isn't possible, the following year DebConf could be in India, Sweden,
Kosovo or Portugal.

https://debconf20.debconf.org/
https://wiki.debian.org/DebConf/21
https://debconf19.debconf.org/talks/134-debconf21-in-your-city/

I would encourage any attendees to volunteer to ensure the continued
the success of the annual Debian conference, here are some examples of
things that need helpers.

https://wiki.debian.org/DebConf/19/Volunteer
https://debconf-video-team.pages.debian.net/docs/volunteer_roles.html

You might be interested in these ARM-related events from DebConf19:

https://debconf19.debconf.org/talks/97-arm-ports-bof/
https://debconf19.debconf.org/talks/58-debian-on-the-raspberryscape/
https://debconf19.debconf.org/talks/121-cat-herding-development-boards/

I note that Freedombone uses vmdebootstrap, please note that it has
been deprecated by its maintainer and replaced by vmdb2 in Debian.

I note that Freedombone uses some non-x86 architectures, I would
encourage you to provide help porting Debian to those architectures.

https://www.debian.org/ports/
https://wiki.debian.org/Ports

Please feel free to circulate this mail within the Freedombone team.

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise