Debian derivatives census: Devuan: welcome!

Hi Daniel,

I would like to welcome yourself and Devuan to the Debian derivatives
census! Would you like to take this opportunity to introduce yourself
and Devuan to us all?

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/Devuan

It would be great if you could join our mailing list and IRC channel:

https://wiki.debian.org/DerivativesFrontDesk

I would encourage you to look at Debian's guidelines for derivatives:

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Guidelines

You may want to look at our census QA page, some of the mails from
there may apply to Devuan.

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/CensusQA

You don't appear to be subscribed to the Devuan census page,
I've made a few changes to the Devuan census page:

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/Devuan?action=info

There are still a few references to example.org, please update them
with devuan.org references, or remove the example.org ones.

The page says that Devuan modifies Debian binary packages. It is quite
rare that distributions modify Debian binary packages instead of
modifying source packages and rebuilding them. Does Devuan actually do
this? If so could you describe what kind of modifications you are
making? If not I guess the page needs to be fixed.

Please make sure that the Devuan sources.list on the wiki page is
correct and complete, i.e. has entries for all the suites, components
and architectures that are currently supported. I added unstable but
browsing /devuan/dists it appears that more need to be added.

apt noticed that some Devuan codenames for /devuan (but not
/merged) have incorrect suite information:

W: Conflicting distribution: http://deb.devuan.org/devuan testing InRelease (expected testing but got beowulf)
W: Conflicting distribution: http://deb.devuan.org/devuan stable InRelease (expected stable but got ascii)
W: Conflicting distribution: http://deb.devuan.org/devuan stable-security InRelease (expected stable-security but got None)
W: Conflicting distribution: http://deb.devuan.org/devuan stable-backports InRelease (expected stable-backports but got ascii)

I noticed that /devuan Release files have Label: None but /merged
Release files have Label: Devuan and that /devuan Release files are
missing the Description field.

I note that Devuan is based on Debian stable. A great way to help
ensure that the next Debian release is working well is to install
and run the how-can-i-help tool and try to work on any issues.

https://wiki.debian.org/how-can-i-help
https://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/blog/?p=837
https://packages.debian.org/unstable/how-can-i-help

I note that Devuan also has releases based on Debian jessie in the apt
repository. The Debian LTS (Long Term Support) team has taken over
security maintenance for jessie. I would encourage the Devuan community
to help out with this effort.

https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/
https://lists.debian.org/debian-lts-announce/2016/04/msg00000.html

I note that Devuan uses Debian backports, you might also like to
contribute your backporting efforts to Debian.

https://backports.debian.org/Contribute/

There doesn't appear to be a Devuan blog or a blog aggregator for
Devuan developers. I've added a link to devuan-announce instead. If an
RSS feed existed for the list or for a blog it would be syndicated on
Planet Debian derivatives and would help the Debian community find out
the things that are happening in Devuan.

https://planet.debian.org/deriv/

This year the annual Debian conference is in Curitiba, Brazil. It would
be great if developers from Devuan could attend DebConf but it is
currently very close to the start of DebConf19. If this isn't possible,
next year DebConf will be in Haifa, Israel.

https://debconf19.debconf.org/

I would encourage any attendees to volunteer to ensure the continued
the success of the annual Debian conference, here are some examples of
things that need helpers.

https://wiki.debian.org/DebConf/19/Volunteer
https://debconf-video-team.pages.debian.net/docs/volunteer_roles.html

I note that Devuan uses some non-x86 architectures, I would encourage
you to provide help porting Debian to those architectures.

https://www.debian.org/ports/
https://wiki.debian.org/Ports

You might want to consider adding TLS to some of your domains. TLS on
the repository will help Devuan users to obscure package names and
version numbers from global active adversaries. You might also want to
add HSTS headers.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Guidelines/Web_Security

Please feel free to circulate this mail within the Devuan team.

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise