Debian derivatives census: Qubes: welcome!

Hi unman,

I would like to welcome yourself and Qubes to the Debian derivatives
census! Would you like to take this opportunity to introduce yourself
and Qubes to us all?

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/Qubes

It would be great if you could join our mailing list and IRC channel:

https://wiki.debian.org/DerivativesFrontDesk

I would encourage you to look at Debian's guidelines for derivatives:

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Guidelines

You may want to look at our census QA page, some of the mails from
there may apply to Qubes.

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/CensusQA

You don't appear to be subscribed to the Qubes census page,
I've made a few changes to the Qubes census page:

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/Qubes?action=info

I was under the impression that Qubes was based on Fedora.
Are you planning on a transition to being based on Debian?
I see that Qubes does have an apt repository available.
It would be interesting to hear about your plans here.

Some of the Release files in the apt repository for Qubes are missing
the Valid-Until header, which allows clients to find out when active
network attackers are holding back newer Release files. At minimum,
rolling releases and suites containing security updates should have this
header. With reprepro you can use the ValidFor config option.

https://wiki.debian.org/RepositoryFormat#Date.2CValid-Until

The apt repository for Qubes does not contain source packages,
including for packages licensed under the GNU GPL (Xen). This may or
may not be a copyright violation depending on whether or not you
distribute those elsewhere. In any case, please add source packages to
your repository so that Debian can automatically create patches to be
presented to Debian package maintainers.

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/CensusQA#No_source_packages
https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Integration#Patches
https://compliance.guide/

I note that some of the packages in the Qubes apt repository use http
instead of https in their Homepage or Description fields.

The page is missing a dpkg vendor field. It is important that Debian
derivatives set this properly on installed systems and mention the
value of the field in the derivatives census.

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Guidelines#Vendor

I've added the Qubes blog to Planet Debian derivatives which helps the
Debian community find out the things that are happening in the world of
Debian derivatives. I note that the automatically detected feed URL
does not use TLS because the link in the HTML is http not https.

http://planet.debian.org/deriv/

This year the annual Debian conference is in Montreal, Canada.
It would be great if developers from Qubes could attend DebConf.
The CfP for DebConf17 is currently open, this might be a good
opportunity to talk about the relationship between Qubes and Debian.
If this isn't possible, next year DebConf18 will be in Hsinchu, Taiwan.

https://debconf17.debconf.org/
https://debconf17.debconf.org/cfp/

I would encourage Invisible Things Lab and the other Qubes sponsors to
contribute financially to ensure the continued survival of Debian and
the success of the annual Debian conference.

https://www.debian.org/donations
https://debconf.org/sponsors/
https://debconf17.debconf.org/sponsors/become-a-sponsor/

I would encourage any attendees to volunteer to ensure the continued
the success of the annual Debian conference, here are some examples of
things that need helpers.

https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf13/VolunteerCoordination

I note that Qubes is partly based on Debian stable. The Debian release
team recently released a timeline for the freeze for the next Debian
stable release. I would encourage you to review it and prepare your
plans for rebasing on the next Debian release (stretch).

https://lists.debian.org/msgid-search/20170205222956.tgkvf222frsmsj7j@powdarrmonkey.net

I note that Qubes is partly based on Debian unstable. A great way to
help ensure that the next Debian release working well is to install and
run the how-can-i-help tool and try to work on any issues that come up.

http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/blog/?p=837
https://packages.debian.org/unstable/how-can-i-help
https://wiki.debian.org/how-can-i-help

I note that Qubes also has wheezy in the apt repository. The Debian
long-term security team has announced an LTS effort for wheezy.
I would encourage Qubes to help out with this effort financially
and or with developer time.

https://www.debian.org/News/2016/20160425
https://wiki.debian.org/LTS

Is Qubes collaborating with other related distros like Tails, Subgraph etc?

You might want to consider adding DNSSEC to your domains and TLSA
records to your domains. You might also want to reconsider Cloudflare :)

Please feel free to circulate this mail within the Qubes team.

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise