Re: Debian derivatives census: Apertis: welcome!

Hello Paul,

On 18/06/16 04:23, Paul Wise wrote:

> I would like to welcome yourself and Apertis to the Debian derivatives
> census! Would you like to take this opportunity to introduce Apertis to
> us all?

Thanks! Apertis is a FOSS (Free and open source) GNU/Linux-based
platform for infotainment in automotive vehicles. It is a distribution
derived from Debian/Ubuntu and geared towards the creation of
product-specific images for ARM and Intel x86 systems.

> I note that Apertis is based on Ubuntu. Are you planning on a
> transition to being based on Debian?

Not really, timely releases are great for orchestating our release calendar.

> Some of the Release files in the apt repository for Apertis are missing
> the Valid-Until header, which allows clients to find out when active
> network attackers are holding back newer Release files. At minimum,
> rolling releases and suites containing security updates should have
> this header. With reprepro you can use the ValidFor config option.
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/RepositoryFormat#Date.2CValid-Until

Thanks! That should be fixed now!

> There doesn't appear to be a Apertis blog or a blog aggregator for
> Apertis developers. If these existed they would be syndicated on Planet
> Debian derivatives and would help the Debian community find out the
> things that are happening in Apertis. I guess most of the Apertis folks
> are already Debian developers and have blogs on Planet Debian anyway.
>
> http://planet.debian.org/deriv/

Indeed!

> I'll see you at DebConf16! I guess we will hear more about Apertis
> during the derivatives panel or a talk or lightning talk.
>
> http://debconf$dcyear.debconf.org/

Sure, probably during Derivatives Panel, but if someone wants to know
more or have special requests feel free to contact me or developers
mailing list at:
  https://lists.apertis.org/

> I note there is a Debian pure blend related automotive applications
> being worked on, have you considered collaborating with them?
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Automotive

From reading that site, I am unaware who could we be collaborating with.
Note that wiki links a keynote on the 2nd AGL summit which seems to be
forbidden (
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/automotive-grade-linux
). I have also looked at Blends website and I was unable to find Debian
Automotive blend info.

> I note that Apertis uses Xfce, I would encourage you to provide
> feedback and fixes to the Debian Xfce team.
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianXfceGroup

While Apertis target and development images focus on middleware (have no
desktop, but run mutter), the SDK image uses Xfce unmodified.

> You might want to consider adding DNSSEC and TLSA records to your
> domains. You might also want to add HSTS headers.
>
> Please feel free to circulate this mail within the Apertis team.

Thanks! I'll forward to our sysadmins.

Regards
--
Hector Oron