Debian derivatives census: PrimTux: welcome!

Hi Steph,

I would like to welcome yourself and PrimTux to the Debian derivatives
census! Would you like to take this opportunity to introduce yourself
and PrimTux to us all?

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/PrimTux

It would be great if you could join our mailing list and IRC channel:

https://wiki.debian.org/DerivativesFrontDesk

I would encourage you to look at Debian's guidelines for derivatives:

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Guidelines

You may want to look at our census QA page, some of the mails from
there may apply to PrimTux.

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/CensusQA

You may want to subscribe to the PrimTux census page:

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/PrimTux?action=subscribe

The page says that PrimTux modifies Debian binary packages. It is quite
rare that distributions modify Debian binary packages instead of
modifying source packages and rebuilding them. Does PrimTux actually do
this? If so could you describe what kind of modifications you are
making? If not I guess the page needs to be fixed.

Some of the Release files in the apt repository for PrimTux are missing
the Valid-Until header, which allows clients to find out when active
network attackers are holding back newer Release files. At minimum,
rolling releases and suites containing security updates should have
this header. With reprepro you can use the ValidFor config option.

https://wiki.debian.org/RepositoryFormat#Date.2CValid-Until

The apt repository for PrimTux does not contain source packages,
including for packages licensed under the GNU GPL. This may or may not
be a copyright violation depending on whether or not you distribute
those elsewhere. In any case, please add source packages to your
repository so that Debian can automatically create patches to be
presented to Debian package maintainers.

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/CensusQA#No_source_packages
https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Integration#Patches

The page is missing a dpkg vendor field. It is important that Debian
derivatives set this properly on installed systems and mention the
value of the field in the derivatives census.

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Guidelines#Vendor

There doesn't appear to be a PrimTux blog or a blog aggregator for
PrimTux developers. If these existed they would be syndicated on Planet
Debian derivatives and would help the Debian community find out the
things that are happening in PrimTux.

http://planet.debian.org/deriv/

I noticed that the VCS and bug tracker links need a login to view, you
might want to open those to the public.

Since PrimTux is based in France you might be interested in joining
the Debian France group if you haven't already.

https://wiki.debian.org/LocalGroups#France
https://france.debian.net/

This year the annual Debian conference is in Cape Town, South Africa.
It would be great if developers from PrimTux could attend DebConf. If
this isn't possible, next year DebConf will be in Montreal, Canada.

http://debconf16.debconf.org/

I would encourage any attendees to volunteer to ensure the continued
success of the annual Debian conference, here are some examples of
things that need helpers.

https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf13/VolunteerCoordination
https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf16/LocalTeamRoles

I note that PrimTux is based on Debian stable. The Debian release team
semi-recently released a timeline for the freeze for the next Debian
stable release. I would encourage you to review it and prepare your
plans for rebasing on the next Debian release (stretch).

https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2016/03/msg00000.html

A great way to help ensure that the next Debian release working well is
to install and run the how-can-i-help tool and try to work on any
issues that come up.

http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/blog/?p=837
https://packages.debian.org/unstable/how-can-i-help
https://wiki.debian.org/how-can-i-help

I note there is another Debian derivative for children called
DoudouLinux, have you considered collaborating or merging with them?

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/DoudouLinux

I note that PrimTux uses live-build, which has been orphaned. I would
encourage you to join the Debian Live team to help out with it.

https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-live/

You might want to consider adding DNSSEC to your domains, TLSA records
and SSL to some of your domains. SSL on the repository will help
PrimTux users to obscure package names and version numbers from global
active adversaries. You might also want to add HSTS headers.

Please feel free to circulate this mail within the PrimTux team.

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise