Re: Debian Derivative: Rescatux

El 29/12/13 10:20, Paul Wise escribió:
On Sun, Dec 29, 2013 at 1:04 PM, adrian15 wrote:
>>> Live images are just normal installations
>>> that live on media that are
>>> read-only and possibly removable. I expect there will be zero issues
>>> or if there are some, they will be easy to fix.

Well, yes, I meant the other way round. A normal user in his Debian
installation trying to install Rescapp, downloading all these dependencies
packages and then nothing working as expected because not being in a live
system.

My point was that there would be no reason for Rescapp to be broken on
any system, live or not. I don't know how I would even write a program
that wouldn't work when running off read-only media, especially since
all live systems these days have a memory-only read-write layer above
the read-only media. Could you explain the problems you would expect?

First of all sorry for taking so long to reply (I have re-rescued some texts from former email so that conversation makes sense).

Most of options present in Rescapp perform a rescue task. Usually the first step for this task is to detect affected partitions.

If you are dealing with GNU/Linux you will search for /etc/issue file. If you are dealing with Windows system you search for c:\windows\system\sam or equivalent.

I hope you get the idea.

In order to detect these partition I loop them based on /proc/partitions information so that I mount, examine and umount them.

The problem comes, after the detection phase, when the user selects the partitions which it wants to recover/fix.

The recover procedure mounts the partition, fixes it by copying files or running commands on a chroot, and then umounts it.

This last recover procedure can only work successfully if the selected partition is initially not mounted. It's not that it won't work in most of the cases but that I have not the total security of this double mount being a problem. Not to say that some of the options like fsck might need the partition to be completely umounted.

What I mean is that:

* On a GNU/Linux Live CD such as Rescatux which it is based on Debian Live I can enforce that USB automount or initial mount of partitions is not done at all.

* On an installed GNU/Linux system I have to deal or cope with the different scenarios where automount might have already mounted an usb hard disk that the final user wants to fix. That means probably warning the final user that he needs to make sure the partition that needs to be fixed needs to be unmounted. And, well, you know that usually means to quit the file manager windows that were using it.)

boot-repair, which it's another tool somehow similar to Rescapp deals with this situation by killing all the caja, nautilus, dolphin and other file manager processes. Then it unmounts the partition if it's mounted and then performs its tasks.

I hope you get the idea. I am relunctant on people using Rescapp outside Rescatux because there would be some variables (Broad sense meaning) that I won't control.

At the same time I know that there are people that would like to use an installed version of Rescatux/Rescapp for performing its rescue tasks for third people without having to use it as a live cd ( http://www.supergrubdisk.org/forum/index.php?topic=813.0 ).

I suppose I wouldn't have to be worried about these issues. If someone wants to fix a computer it will probably use Rescatux directly and not use an installed Debian system and install rescapp package over it.

And if someone installs rescapp on an installed Debian system he probably knows what he's doing.

OFFTOPIC: Although not needed in my case and probably not a good idea in most of the cases this thread has made me to think about a new deb package switch, option, rule of no dependency, etc. E.g. when you would want to install rescapp:

"You cannot install this package because it cannot coexist with debian-installed-system package".

What's debian-installed-system ? A package that only exists in Debian installations. This package does not exist in Debian Live.

adrian15
--
Support free software. Donate to Super Grub Disk. Apoya el software libre. Dona a Super Grub Disk. http://www.supergrubdisk.org/donate/