Re: When does a derivative become a derivative? Whonix integration into Debian?

On Sun, Dec 15, 2013 at 11:33 AM, adrelanos wrote:

> with my Whonix hat on, I am wondering if Whonix actually is a derivative
> of Debian or if I and Whonix users are just another kind of Debian users.

So far Whonix appears to be mostly developed outside Debian with
separate infrastructure and so on. Personally I consider Whonix to be
a derivative.

> Does that rule, that derivative's [Whonix] users should not post Debian
> BTS really need to be enforced?

Have you encountered people complaining about this? In any case almost
all Whonix bugs should be reproducible on plain Debian systems so they
should be valid and accepted bugs.

> Whonix would just be a special brand of Debian.

The terminology we use for that is a "Debian Pure Blend".

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianPureBlends
http://blends.debian.org/
http://blends.debian.org/blends/

Please note that none of the Debian Pure Blends are integrated very
well into Debian yet. They each have metapackages in the archive but
aren't advertised well on the main website nor in the Debian installer
and there are no Debian live/cloud images of them.

> I'd be interested to see Debian VM images for qemu, Virtual Box, etc.
> build on Debian build servers along with live iso's. (Just standard
> Debian install.)

That would definitely be interesting, the problem is that Debian
doesn't currently have a proper mechanism for creating generic/OEM
preinstalled images, our existing cloud/live images do
post-debootstrap hacks. I posted a couple of things about this
recently:

https://wiki.debian.org/ReproducibleInstalls

> Is that realistic? Would you be interested in any of this or even
> willing to help in packaging Whonix for Debian and bootstrapping Debian
> VM builds?

I would definitely like to see this happen, I can't really get
involved in more projects though.

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise