Re: Can a package pull a another package from another repository to be added?

On Fri, 02 Aug 2013 01:06:41 +0000
adrelanos <adrelanos@riseup.net> wrote:

> One of those existing packages, when upgraded in future, should fetch
> a package from Debian testing using apt pinning.

This is a sign of:
0: A bad package which needs to support a migration in the dependency
1: A broken fork which should repackage the old version if the
migration cannot be supported
2: A broken implementation
3: A package which can correctly be described as toxic.

> When a package gets upgraded by apt-get... There is no way I know of
> for the package to:
>
> (1) add a new /etc/apt/sources.list,
> (2) add new apt pinning settings to /etc/apt/preferences.d/

Correct. This should *not* be supported by any package.

> (3) update package lists (apt-get update) and
> (4) pull a new package from another repository (apt-get install
> python-stem - only available in testing, not in stable)

The correct solution is to backport the missing package to
stable-backports. Even so, the package which needs the backport will
need to itself be in backports - dependencies outside the current suite
are not supported in 'main', that's why contrib exists.

If you're working with a derivative, create a stable-backport suite and
put *both* packages into it. Do *not* be tempted to force admins to use
backports when upgrading by subverting the choice of apt sources - leave
a working package in the current suite with a description of how to
upgrade. apt sources are configuration files in /etc/, maintained solely
by the local admin - packages have *no* rights to change, modify,
remove or add apt sources except as installers or rootfs tools.

--

Neil Williams