Tribus: a collaborative social network

Greetings,

I'm writing to this list because i'd like to introduce you to a project i've been working on with some fellow developers. I'm a developer from the Canaima debian derivative[0], and if you check out our page in the derivative census[1], you may notice that we fall short on platform resources. By this i mean, we don't have a PTS, buildd or QA to aid us in our development process (we do have a Trac, though)(yes, we compile the packages in our workstations).

In the last couple of months, a small group of Canaima developers have decided to put an end to this situation. We studied the Debian platform and the majority of its components and applications. We came up with this idea: we wanted to merge some of the components of Debian into a single application that we could easily build and mantain. Then we thought about Python, Django, AngularJS, Redis, MongoDB, PostgreSQL, OpenLDAP, Buildbot, and many other technologies. Then we baptized it "Tribus" (Tribes in spanish).

The project is being actively developed in GitHub[2], as you can see in the graphs[3], there have been contributions from 6 people so far (3 of them are developers from CNTI[3], the institution in charge of maintaining Canaima). We have released it's first alpha version (0.1~a1)[4] today, with the following features:

- Package index: is a pseudo-clone of packages.d.o. It's different in some details: on the package profile you can see the information of the package for all distributions.

- Microblogging: it's designed to be a placeholder for the other services to communicate its status (for example, when the buildbot compiles a package successfully or a ticket is closed). It also allows user interaction with these events (through comments) and to publish short messages (like Twitter).

- User profile: you can see all the information related to a specific user in this page.

- Live search: you can search for all the types of element present in Tribus (users and packages so far).

- Authentication: a system to interact with an LDAP that has all Canaima users (login, create users, recover password, etc).

- i18n & l10n: it is fully internationalized and localized to Spanish (English is available too, of course).

This is what we have done for the first public version. Progressively, all these features will be extended as we add more subsystems (like the buildbot, a BTS, etc). For example, if a Maintainer has a profile in Tribus, we can render a link to its profile in the package index page, and so on. There is an (unfinished, in spanish) mind map about the complete roadmap of Tribus[5].

Well, i hope you can take a look[4]. Tribus is being developed with a universal purpuse, by this i mean: it's debranded enough so that other distros can customize to their needs. Hopefully, this will help small and starting Debian Derivatives to quickly setup a complete development platform.

Regards,

--
[0]http://canaima.softwarelibre.gob.ve
[1]https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/Canaima