Re: expanded + clarified "differences from Debian" wiki section

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 11:59 AM, nick black wrote:

> systemd has replaced sysvinit.

This may happen in Debian for jessie, at least for the Linux-based
architectures.

> SELinux and TCP wrappers are not supported. The former almost certainly introduces security problems

Do you have any specific issues in mind here? If so it would be a good
idea to get CVEs and patches issued for them.

> Hardening flags are not considered universally desirable.

Is the performance difference really that large?

> Patching the upstream sources is strongly frowned upon

Likewise in Debian, we even codified that in our social contract:

http://www.debian.org/social_contract

We do take a pragmatic approach when upstream is unresponsive or for
other reasons though.

> use of --fail-missing or an equivalent is strongly encouraged

It might be interesting to make that the default in a future debhelper
compat level.

> updates would be detected on upstream servers, ... repacked, all without user intervention

The advantage of having humans involved here is that they can make
judgements about the updates.

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise