Re: Canonical way to create stock /etc/apt/sources.list?

On Wed, 08 May 2013 12:06:15 +0000
adrelanos <adrelanos@riseup.net> wrote:

> What is Debian's canonical way to create a stock /etc/apt/sources.list
> configuration file?

Whatever does the installation. If it's Debian Installer, then the
udebs handle converting the user entries into the sources file and the
removal of the install media sources. If it's debootstrap or multistrap,
the file is created from the user configuration / options.

Multistrap also has the ability to use one set of apt sources for the
system creation and a replacement set for device runtime.

> I never could find out which package contains code to create that file.
> I guess Debian installer has the code to install it based on what the
> user entered?
>
> Is there an application to create a stock /etc/apt/sources.list which
> could be scripted?

Each one has their own needs. Multistrap, in particular, has to deal
with Multi-Arch requirements which debootstrap (and d-i) do not handle.

There is no single creator of apt sources. Such a thing is not to be
written either, too many third parties try to do so and fail
spectacularly. (Google+ is a prime culprit here.)

--

Neil Williams