Re: Debian derivatives census: Kali: support and bug reporting information

Hi,

On Fri, 22 Mar 2013, Paul Wise wrote:
> I've noticed that there have been some folks contacting[1][2] Debian for
> support with Kali. It would be good if Kali could comply with the Debian
> derivatives guidelines on bug reports[3] and encourage users to use Kali
> support channels rather than Debian ones.
>
> Looking at the Kali mini iso[4], I noticed that the dpkg origins file
> doesn't contain a Bugs: line, so the default place for bug reports is
> bugs.debian.org.

I will fix the "Bugs" line but that information is not (porperly) used
by reportbug.

$ cat /etc/dpkg/origins/default
Vendor: Kali
Vendor-URL: http://www.kali.org/
Parent: debian
Bugs: http://bugs.kali.org
$ reportbug apt
[...]
Will send report to Debian (per lsb_release).
^C
$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Debian
Release:	Kali 1.0
Codename:	n/a

So there's a more general problem in the way lsb-release works in Debian, it's
not derivative-ready/friendly. I filed a bug about it (this list should get a copy).

Now I have added an /etc/lsb-release just to verify what reportbug does:

$ reportbug apt
[...]
Will send report to Kali (per lsb_release).
Kali bug tracking system has no web URL; bypassing query
[...]
Report will be sent to "Debian Bug Tracking System" <submit@bugs.debian.org>
Submit this report on apt (e to edit) [y|n|a|c|E|i|l|m|p|q|d|t|s|?]?
^C

So reportbug is also not derivative friendly, and it needs to be fixed.
I filed a second bug about this. Because really, derivatives should not
have to fork reportbug...

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer

Get the Debian Administrator's Handbook:
→ http://debian-handbook.info/get/