Re: derivatives and funding?

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 10:20:26AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> I'm interested to find out what other funding models we have in
> derivatives, anyone willing to disclose that? I've updated the
> CensusTemplate to include an item for funding model information, I'd
> appreciate it if you could update your census pages in addition to
> replying here.

I agree that would be interesting, mainly to know how sustainable the
whole ecosystem of derivatives is, money-wise. Thanks for the idea.

> On a related note, should we be suggesting in the derivatives
> guidelines for derivatives to donate to Debian?
>
> In the past I've suggested DebConf sponsorship to derivatives with
> government/corporate sponsors, should we continue doing that or expand
> it to all derivatives?

I think giving information on which kind of contributions Debian welcome
from derivatives (sponsor) is good. At the same time, I don't think
attracting donations from derivatives (sponsor) is a goal per se. So,
the message I'd like to see conveyed to derivatives is something like
this:

- Debian is happy that our package base is a good base for derivatives
- we welcome contributions from derivatives!
- the kind of contributions we like the most is "working with us", in
  particular to have your code changes integrated upstream in Debian or
  directly upstream (where applicable)
- if your sponsor want to donate to Debian, we appreciate that too. Here
  is how to donate [LINK]; we usually use money for: bla bla (hardware,
  meetings, etc.)

I put it this way, because I think priorities do matter. But at the same
time it does not "hide" the fact we would welcome donations from
derivatives sponsor, and provide the needed information for them to
decide what to do.

Just my 0.02€,
Cheers.
Debian Project Leader . . . . . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .