Re: choose your desktop, desktopchoice

On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 12:45:49 +0800
Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 12:18 PM, adrelanos wrote:
>
> > Where could I make a suggestions?

Don't think about this as a suggestion - you want this functionality,
the current d-i team simply do *NOT* have the time. If you don't do the
work, nobody else will.

> I'm not really sure about this, I initially thought tasksel but it
> appears that is one thing that the tasksel devs did not want to
> implement:
>
> http://joeyh.name/code/tasksel/faq/
>
> I'd also like to see tasksel supporting Debian pure blends, but that
> appears to be another thing the tasksel devs did not want to implement
> :(

What Emdebian does is to add a Grip specific package (grip-config)
which doesn't (and never will) exist in Debian. It gets added to
Emdebian Grip and it provides a few task meta packages. grip-config is
Emdebian Grip doesn't include the full package set, so the default
tasks get disabled, allowing the other Grip tasks to show.

I try to stay inline with what Joey does with tasksel, so the tasks are
"minimal desktop" or "touchscreen" etc. rather than "Grip XFCE" or
"tslib" etc.

> You may have to either fork tasksel or write something new to solve this issue.

d-i isn't hard to work on but the existing d-i team is extremely
overworked, so don't expect help beyond any existing documentation
(which itself may be out of date). However, this will mean that you
would have to build d-i for yourself and then the various images
yourself too.

--

Neil Williams