Re: listing Debian derivatives on the website?

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 10:05:40 +0800
Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 5:12 PM, Ryan Finnie wrote:
>
> > If you do this (which is a good idea), I'd recommend adding some
> > extra logic when dealing with kernel packages.  All packages in the
> > Finnix repositories have proper source packages, with the exception
> > of linux-image-*.  I build kernel packages using make-kpkg, so while
> > there are corresponding linux-source-* packages distributed, there
> > is technically no actual source package in Sources.
> >
> > If a source package is found, no extra handling should be needed.
> >  But if not, and it's linux-{image,headers,source}-* etc, the lint
> > program should try to make sure there's a corresponding
> > linux-source "binary" package available.
>
> Hmm, is make-kpkg not capable of making source packages?

linux has the deb-pkg make target which doesn't generate source
packages either (aiui). [1] will know for sure. OTOH, you might just
decide not to care about things built without any of the debian tools.
(I only bring this up, as i was told deb-pkg is preferred over make-kpkg
for simple things, which is what some derivs might do)

[1] linux-2.6-2.6.32/scripts/package/builddeb

> > Excellent work on herding the cats so far, by the way.

big +1 there.
thanks,
kk

--