Re: Planning Ubuntu Developer Week

Hiya,

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 01:04:46PM +0100, Daniel Holbach wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> in the past I mentioned the planning of Ubuntu Developer Week, so I
> thought I'd mention it again. UDW is going to happen from 31st January
> to 2nd February. This time we also offer 30m slots for the IRC sessions,
> so it's maybe a smaller commitment when people sign up.
>
> Iain Lane and Stefano Rivera graciously agreed to give a 30 minute
> "Working with Debian" session, to give an insight into how current and
> future Ubuntu developers can make sure both Debian and Ubuntu benefit.
> When discussing this the idea came up to also have a "Working in Debian"
> session, which explains how to contribute to Debian and how things in
> Debian generally work.

I envisaged "Working with Debian" to be about how to use reportbug, how
to send good patches and how to make Ubuntu changes sensitively, and
"Working in Debian" to talk about the how and why of maintaining your
stuff directly in Debian. You could call it "How to be a good derivative
[developer]", to be more generic. Personally I think it would be
interesting to have someone non-Ubuntu give this or another session, to
supply a slightly different perspective on things. :-)

Cheers,

--
Iain Lane                                  [ iain@orangesquash.org.uk ]
Debian Developer                                   [ laney@debian.org ]