Re: DEX (Re: derivatives front desk status check)

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 11:54 PM, Andrew Starr-Bochicchio wrote:

> Notes are on the embedded etherpad on that page, though you probably
> need a Launchpad account to see that. So I'll paste them below:

I don't enable JavaScript, so thanks for that.

> Existing DEX projects
>  - patches.ubuntu.com (ancient-patches) is done
>
> Possible new DEX projects
>  - big-merges: largest deltas in Ubuntu relative to Debian
>   Identify which packages to work on

A lot of these are new upstream releases, this was discussed in the other thread

> - adding Debian-related metadata to Ubuntu patches (e.g. whether it
> has been forwarded)

Forwarding patches and then adding Bug-Debian headers before/after
uploading to Ubuntu sounds good.

> - patch-tracker.ubuntu.com a la patch-tracker.debian.org
> - possible action item: Ask Seanius/Giovanni Mascellani (maintainers
> of patch-tracker) if they're willing to accept data on the patches in
> Ubuntu

I'd suggest doing that via the derivatives census scripts so that all
derivatives get it.

> - http://qa.ubuntuwire.com/oldmerges/

Excellent target for DEX!

> - add DEP-3 headers to patch-tracker.debian.org itself?

Those appear to be there already?

http://patch-tracker.debian.org/patch/series/view/warzone2100/2.3.8-1/0001-Switch-to-using-external-miniupnpc.patch

> Nathan Handler categorized (a while back) the possible big-merges candidates:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.derivatives/427

That kinda fizzled out, I think we need a new thread.

> Collaboration between multiple distros
> - build.opensuse.org (OBS) imports Fedora/Debian/Ubuntu/SUSE packages wit
>  https://build.opensuse.org/ (only imports Ubuntu main, universe
> would be useful)
>  doesn't import all of Debian main / legal concerns?

modulo any RC bugs, main should not have any relevant legal concerns.

> Would like to see more Debian and Ubuntu packages built from the same
> source package (e.g., using a separate debian/patches/series file)

Good idea.

> sponsor ubuntu-but-not-debian packages via mentors.debian.net?

Yes please. Debian's human resources for sponsorship are sadly rather
limited, this a general problem but that should not be a reason to not
do this.

> Removing packages
> - Possibly the right way to deal with packages in Ubuntu (esp.
> universe) and not in Debian is to figure out why they're not in Debian
> (RM'd?) and pursue removing them in Ubuntu

IIRC removals from Ubuntu of packages removed from Debian already
happen automatically or semi-automatically.

> Work items:
>  * [geofft] generate a target list of old merges
>  * Review packages in Ubuntu and not in Debian -- things that should
> be removed, etc.
>    - File RFAs for Ubuntu packages

I guess you mean RFPs here?

>  * Talk to OBS about importing Ubuntu+1 and Debian testing/unstable /
> improving Debian support in general

Cool :)

>  * [paulproteus] Check with patch-tracker.debian.org to see if they
> want to display Ubuntu patch information, and if they can show DEP-3
> headers

Integration of derivatives info into the patch-tracker is on the TODO
list for the census scripts, help welcome!

http://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Integration

>  * [paulproteus, stefanor] Help Ubuntu packagers to get their packages
> in Debian / convince them to file RFS

Excellent.

> The audio was streamed live, but I don't know if anyone captured it.

Thanks to Ian for posting the links.

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise