Re: Derivatives branding (WAS: Re: Meeting minutes for 2011-10-23 UTC (Inaugural meeting))

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 09:49:14 -0400
Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 08:28:02PM +1100, Karl Goetz wrote:
> > What we were talking about in the meeting was how many places a
> > distribution has to modify branding strings and images for their
> > use. It was brought up by pabs' observation that a lot of the
> > changes derivatives have are purely cosmetic.
> >
> > Rather then changing (for example) base-files, base-artwork and
> > desktop-artwork-<environment>, you have to modify huge numbers of
> > packages to change logos, desktops, and other things that could
> > really be consolidated. Example: Why should a derivative need to
> > remove a Debian logo from gnome, kde, base-files, synaptic/software
> > sources, etc when it could be included once in base-files (or a new
> > package base-branding, or whatever) which all other packages then
> > use. When looking at the list of packages which also say Debian as
> > a string (eg grub, web browsers, ...) the list grows again.
>
> I see. That's indeed a very nice idea. It'd go in the direction of
> spreading best practices to re-brand Debian derivatives, something
> which we started documenting in the wiki, but that could clearly be
> made easier centralizing the needed changes in as few packages as
> possible.

If there are any existing references it would be good to collect them
together (somewhere).

> Related to the above: we have in the past complained with some
> upstreams (most notably Canonical) that their software was hard to
> de-/re-brand. Taking steps to make it easier to do with our own
> distro stuff would be coherent with that old complaint of ours.

:)

> I guess the first step for this would be contact the relevant
> desktop-related teams (e.g. GNOME, KDE, LXDE, etc. +
> debian-desktop@lists.d.o).

The first active step perhaps. I'm still wondering how it should be
organised and tracked. Is there a process in debian we should use?
(something like the release goals or deps?). If not, I might create a
sub page for [[Derivatives/Projects]] and start collecting ideas there.
thanks,
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK7FOSS)