Derivatives branding (WAS: Re: Meeting minutes for 2011-10-23 UTC (Inaugural meeting))

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 17:05:07 +0200
Stefano Zacchiroli <zack@debian.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 12:22:04AM +1100, Karl Goetz wrote:
> > Hi all.
> > Quoth the meeting bot:
> > Minutes:
> > http://meetbot.debian.net/debian-derivatives/2011/debian-derivatives.2011-10-23-12.00.html

New subject, as this email is largely about a specific sub point.

> > I've also taken the liberty of updating the meeting page:
> > https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Meetings/2011-10-23
>
> Thanks a lot for organizing the meeting and for this minutes. (I'm
> ashamed of admitting that I've misread the meeting timing; baffled by
> the 12 am/pm issue I thought it was 12 hours later... Sorry about
> that.)

No problem, we were aware in advance the timing wasn't great for you :)

> >  - try and organise someone to work on redoing debians branding
> >    infrastructure. This could probably be a good thing to discuss on
> >    this list on its own.
>
> Just to be sure we're on the same page, the way I read this is:
> standardize a way on which derivatives could advertise the fact they
> are based on Debian. That could be beneficial for them, in case their
> public is aware of what Debian is and can appreciate that heritage as
> a good sign; but it will obviously be beneficial for us as well, as
> it'll give more credit to the widespread reach of the work which is
> done in Debian in the first place.  Is that what you had in mind?

That's a good thought but not what we discussed at the time.

What we were talking about in the meeting was how many places a
distribution has to modify branding strings and images for their use.
It was brought up by pabs' observation that a lot of the changes
derivatives have are purely cosmetic.

Rather then changing (for example) base-files, base-artwork and
desktop-artwork-<environment>, you have to modify huge numbers of
packages to change logos, desktops, and other things that could really
be consolidated. Example: Why should a derivative need to remove a
Debian logo from gnome, kde, base-files, synaptic/software sources, etc
when it could be included once in base-files (or a new
package base-branding, or whatever) which all other packages then use.
When looking at the list of packages which also say Debian as a string
(eg grub, web browsers, ...) the list grows again.

> I'd welcome work in that direction and I'll be happy to help
> (although I can't offer to take the lead).
>
> IIRC something similar has been proposed a long time ago by Anthony
> Towns when he was DPL, but never really completed. I'm not aware of
> any existing draft work in this direction either. It'd be wonderful to
> resurrect that initiative.

I just added it to the agenda for the next meeting. I was hoping to be
opening up for a new meeting soon, but since i've dropped the ball on
follow up messages the meeting might have to wait until early december
or january if we miss that.

http://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Meetings/Next

thanks,
kk