Re: Ubuntu-originated packages in Debian (Re: ubuntu keyring?)

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 6:46 AM, Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> wrote:
> The needed "help" is navigating the sociopolitical environment of Debian to
> find someone with the needed privileges and motivation who will handle the
> uploads.  The preparation of the package confirming to policies is
> *already done* (it exists in Ubuntu)!

When I first started doing work in Ubuntu, one of the biggest aids was
the ability for people to clearly note on a bug that they are willing
to mentor someone to fix it. This meant that I knew from the start
that a specific person was available and willing to work with me to
fix the bug and then sponsor my patch once I was done. It really would
be great if we could do something like this with RFP bugs. In many
cases, someone comments on debian-mentors saying that they will be
more than willing to sponsor the package when it is ready, but it is
not easy to see which packages have a person willing to sponsor it
when browsing the list of WNPP bugs. Maybe we could make use of a
certain tag to note that John Doe is willing to sponsor a particular
bug. This would then allow us to view only RFW bugs that have someone
willing to sponsor them or only RFP bugs that don't have a sponsor (so
we can find someone).

Nathan